Wednesday, October 28, 2015

David Wright struggles in World Series debut

David Wright struggled at the plate, ran into an out on the base paths and made a crucial throwing error that kicked off a walk-off win for the Royals during the 14th inning of Game 1 on Tuesday.

In the final frame, Wright’s throwing error on Alcides Escobar’s grounder pulled Lucas Duda off first base and put the leadoff man on for the Royals. Escobar later advanced to third base on a single and scored on Eric Hosmer’s walk-off sac fly.

“I just got an in-between hop,” Wright said of the ball hit by Escobar. “The ball kind of came up on me, and I just couldn’t put the glove on it. It hit my wrist and then got me in the midsection. I know he can run, so I rushed the throw a little bit.”

Wright went 2-for-7 with two singles, but was caught stealing with one out in the ninth inning. With Daniel Murphy at bat, Wright got picked off trying to steal second base. He slide feet-first into the bag, but was tagged out on his back.

He also stranded four runners on base and went 0-for-2 with runners in scoring position. He struck out looking with two runners on to end the third inning and struck out swinging against Ryan Madson with runners on first and second to end the 11th.

“We can take some positives out of today,” Wright said. “We were one hit away or one play away from winning that game.”

Matthew Cerrone
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | About Me

It was a great afternoon, but a really rough night, for Wright. I realize he rushed the throw, but that’s all it takes to lose a World Series game. These are the type of mistakes a team cannot make, if they want to win. I know he knows this. I know he knows Escobar is fast. He needed to make that play, and he didn’t. I also have no idea why he’s trying to steal against Salvador Perez, who is the second coming of Yadier Molina when it comes to throwing out base runners. In addition to his miscues in the field and on the bases, he looked outplayed at the plate. He had two hits, but also had some really ugly at-bats, especially against Chris Young, who is hardly a Cy Young pitcher. Again, the Mets need their captain to be better. He’s capable of more, and I bet he’d be the first to tell us that. He’s not done. He’ll have a big moment in this series. I know it. Hopefully, he can show it or his teammates can pick him up with a win in Game 2.


Comment


from Metsblog http://ift.tt/1KFbXPa

No comments:

Post a Comment