Saturday, October 31, 2015

Pictures and observations from Game 3 at Citi Field

Matthew Cerrone
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | About Me

The energy level yesterday in and around Citi Field was up, way up, and it never dipped from hours before until after the game. It was at a consistent, confident level the entire time. I didn’t see a single fan or player looking like anything other than people expecting a win, despite entering the day down 0-2.

It was cold, nobody cared. They say the Royals hit fastballs, Noah didn’t care. The last nine teams down 0-2 lost the World Series, fans didn’t care. The only thing anyone cared about pregame was getting pumped up and getting inside that building to root the Mets on to a win. The confidence, chill and excitement were invigorating.


Image-1


In the dugout, during Mets batting practice, Sandy Alderson was talking to some of us in front of the bats and helmets. It was Steven Matz‘s turn to hit. Alderson had his back to the wall, blocking where the players would enter to grab their equipment. Matz just stood there, waiting for an opening in the conversation. It was happening. So, ever so delicate, he dipped his head and said, ‘Excuse me, sir, I need my bat.’ Alderson didn’t hear him. Matz tapped him on the arm and again said, ‘Sir, excuse me.’ Alderson acknowledged the situation, moved, patted Steven on the back, smiled and saluted him with a confident head nod. It was sweet moment, speaking to both of their respect and stature.

The 1986 documentary A Year to Remember was playing in all its glory on the Citi Field scoreboard. I spent a foolish amount of time just sitting in the dugout watching it, because that video never gets old. And, to see it up high, larger than life, blaring through the sound system, was pretty cool. I love that video. I still have the VHS of it in the gigantic plastic box. How do they do it? Mirrors.

I watched FOX’s Bill O’Reilly talk to Alex Rodriguez on the field during batting practice, and couldn’t help wonder which of the two has the biggest ego. Together, though, their collective Id is off the charts. I guess Rodriguez wins, since he surrounded by media and a security detail.

There was actually less buzz and media on field before the game than I expected. The All Star Game was significantly more. However, the more I think about it, the All Star Game brings in every team’s beat reporters, radio, etc, not to mention the Futures Game, HR Derby, etc. Nevertheless, it’s always so cool seeing these people work and do what they do.

Joe Torre looked like the Don of baseball. He had a suit on, long black coat and a jet-black fedora pulled down just above his eyes. He never smiled, did nothing but shake hands and hug people. He was surrounded by other guys in suits, and totally looked like a boss.

I forgot how the ballpark moves fast when the team is fun to watch. Every pitch is important in a postseason game, so no one wants to be in the aisles, in line, milling around, checking out the ‘environment.’ The people are there to watch baseball. So, between innings, Citi Field had that old Shea Stadium fervor, people hustling and scrambling to grab a beer, a quick bite and then scurry back to their seats. That said, it’s pretty fun to be in the aisles or upstairs behind home when something big happens in the game, because the celebration gets wild.

I was in line for sausage, peppers and onions when Curtis Granderson hit his home run. I watched it on the giant monitor. The ball landed and people were literally running around in circles, grown men looked like children, everyone was smiling, leaping, high-fiving and hugging strangers. It’s so bizarre on the surface, yet so unbelievably wonderful that people who might ordinarily argue about other aspects of life can bond and share a mutual experience around baseball… especially Mets baseball.


Image-3


Clearly, David Wright hit a huge home run, made some nice plays in the field, and also had an RBI single, because he ditched that boring country walk-up song and returned to I Got 5 On It by the Luniz.

It’s still incredible to me that I get to be on field, able to just sit back and soak it in. The last time the Mets were in the World Series, I was a 24 year-old college drop out fresh off quitting a job in a call center. My new gig was working for a one-man PR company in Connecticut doing random, menial office errands. However, in time, I was able to learn from a legend of music and entertainment public relations about how to use media, frame discussion and appeal to people with content. Unknowingly, he planted the seeds for MetsBlog, which I wouldn’t start until years later. But, he got me off one path and on to another. The point is, when I’m on the grass at Citi Field, with a credential around my neck, sitting in the dugout, listening to the team’s GM, shaking David Wright’s hand and wishing him good luck, I pinch myself. I never miss the moment to think about what has gone right, how fortunate I am to have readers who enjoy and appreciate my work, who are loyal and passionate and who motivate me to be better.

Thank you. I realize this is a unique and special experience and I love being able to relay it to you. Enjoy this World Series, take it in, don’t gloss over everything it took physically, mentally and emotionally to get here. Because, you never really know when we’ll be back…


Image-2_Snapseed Image-5 Image-6 Image-7 Image
Comment


from Metsblog http://ift.tt/1Ng2tjR

No comments:

Post a Comment