Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Salvador Perez had a mysterious substance on his shinguard last night

Kansas City Royals catcher Salvador Perez was shown during last night’s broadcast having a mysterious substance on his right shinguard (Braziller, Oct. 28).

The Mets did not bring this to the umpires attention at any point throughout the game.

Royals manager Ned Yost was questioned about the substance by reporters following the game.

“It’s not illegal,” Yost said. “I don’t know what it was. It was brown. It’s not illegal for a catcher to have it on his shinguard. It’s illegal for a pitcher.”

When Mets captain David Wright was asked about it, he laughed it off and refrained from commenting on the matter.

Matthew Cerrone
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | About Me

I saw this last night, too. I tweeted about it, as did others. Yost says it’s not illegal for the catcher to have pine tar on his uniform, which he clearly is dabbing on his fingers, then to the ball, before throwing it back to the pitcher. However, I texted a few former players and managers last night, all of whom said it is illegal, though very common. In the end, I don’t think this is a big deal. I’m sure the Mets do something similar, some place, at some point, and we just don’t know about it. It’s part of baseball. I’m sure I’d be fuming if the Mets were no hit by Volquez, but they weren’t. I’m sure this will not be the last we hear about it, though…


Comment


from Metsblog http://ift.tt/1P5hZ1O

No comments:

Post a Comment