Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Juan Lagares has to be in CF for Game 2, not Cespedes

Matthew Cerrone
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | About Me

I re-watched a few specific plays from last nights game, and I’m convinced Juan Lagares has to be in center field for the rest of the series. I don’t know if this means Yoenis Cespedes in left, Michael Conforto at DH or some other combination. But, with how weirdly Cespedes played in the field last night, and with Lagares having such a strong game, Juan has to take over in the middle.

For instance, in the first inning, Cespedes complicated the situation. I realize baseball protocol is to back off if the center fielder calls for it. However, just because he can see the baseball, doesn’t mean he can catch it. Conforto would have been camped out waiting for the ball to end up in his glove had he continued on his path. He didn’t back off until Cespedes, who got a bad jump to start, flew across the field to try and run the ball down. It was at that point, probably confused, and following tradition, Conforto backed away, leaving Cespedes – who was in no position to make the catch – to swat at it with what I guess would have been a behind-the-back basket catch.

Terry Collins and Conforto are correct, it was Conforto’s ball and he should have caught it. And, I think he would have had jack-rabbit Cespedes not swooped in to confuse the situation. It was a huge run, especially considering the game was tied for so many innings. It’s also worth questioning why that ball was put in play at all, since Matt Harvey grooved a fastball to Escobar, who is notorious for being a first-ball hitter. But, that’s for another post.

I don’t want to rag on Cespedes. I love his flare and his bat in the lineup, I love the way he rattles pitchers when on the bases. I want him on the team, no question. And, I believe he’ll have a big moment at the plate at some point this series. But, he’s not a center fielder. And, this in not the time to experiment in center field. The Royals are too good for that…


Comment


from Metsblog http://ift.tt/1kaO7Wa

No comments:

Post a Comment