Friday, October 30, 2015

Volquez to start potential Game 5

Royals RHP Edinson Volquez is still scheduled to start a potential Game 5 of the World Series after flying back to the Dominican Republic to deal with his father’s death, Royals manager Ned Yost said before Game 3 on Friday.

“He’s still slated to pitch Game 5,” Yost said. “He texted [pitching coach] Dave [Eiland] yesterday that everything was going good, and hopes to see him Saturday. We should see Eddie tomorrow. He’ll be ready to go.”

Before Volquez allowed three runs in six innings in Game 1, his 63-year-old father, Daniel, died from heart failure. Volquez said he didn’t find out about his father’s news until after he left the mound, and he flew home to the Dominican Republic after the game.

“My wife was waiting for me with the general manager and they told me what had happened after I finished working,” he said (Oct. 28). “I want to thank my teammates for all their support, to [Johnny] Cueto and Yordano [Ventura], who were the first ones to call me.”

Before Volquez left Kauffman Stadium, he told the Royals he would be ready to pitch in a potential Game 5.

“Last thing Eddie told the guys last night when he left is, ‘I’ll see you in New York,'” Yost said before Game 2.


Comment


from Metsblog http://ift.tt/1Wmg12T

No comments:

Post a Comment