Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Lucas Duda can expect to earn $6.7M next season

The Mets will have 11 players eligible for salary arbitration this offseason, including Lucas Duda.

MLB Trade Rumors projects Duda, who earned $4.2 million this past season and won’t be eligible for free agency until after 2017, will earn $6.8 million through arbitration next year (Oct. 6, 2015).

Similarly, the award-winning team at Pace Law School determined that Duda can expect to earn $6.7 million (Nov. 17, 2015).

In Spring Training earlier this year, the Mets tried to sign Duda to a three-year extension, with a team option for 2018, according to CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman (May 1, 2015). However, the two sides quickly agreed postpone contract talks until this offseason.

Matthew Cerrone
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | About Me

There have been no reports or rumors that the Mets will again talk with Duda about an extension, though I suppose it’s still a possibility. Frankly, after his inconsistent 2015, I think there is as good of chance he is traded as there is that they ink him to an extension. I like Lucas, and I believe in his ability, but I’d explore moving him. I’m uncomfortable knowing that the overwhelming majority of his stats will come in the span of three or four weeks scattered across a six-month season, five of which will be spent with him trying to find his timing. The Mets do not have a deep enough lineup to afford that type of instability. Duda would be fun to watch in a hitter’s park, especially when he’s locked in. So, at just $6.7 million and under team control, there will be teams with interest in acquiring him. Again, I’m OK keeping him. I’ll love him when he’s on fire, but I can’t ignore those months when he’s no place to be found. If the Mets can find a taker, and use the opportunity to create a more consistent lineup, I’d do it…


Comment


from Metsblog http://ift.tt/1lt7fQc

No comments:

Post a Comment